Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids Wii Comic-Con Report…
Contributed by n-Space Game Director, Tim Schwalk.
Comic-Con 2010 has officially come to a close, and it was a HUGE success not only for our Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids Wii game, but for the Tron franchise in general. One particular highlight for me was the opportunity Jamie Toghill and I had to speak to GameSpot.com about our game as part of their live Day 3 coverage (our coverage starts at 11:00).
Jamie is our external producer from Propaganda Games. Even though we’re developing the game here at n-Space in sunny Orlando Florida, we’re working very closely with the guys at Disney owned Propaganda Games in Vancouver Canada. It’s a unique relationship with two developers coming together to create a game, and it’s one that has worked very well.
Here’s a list of the exciting features we discussed in the interview:
• Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids is exclusive to the Nintendo Wii, offering a completely different gaming experience than the 360 and PS3 games.
• While our game is based on the Tron film franchise, this is not a movie game. Our story bridges the gap between the original 1982 film and the next-gen games. Taking place in 1988, our game presents a Utopian Tron world where grid games are played for sport, rather than for gladiatorial competition. Even with this original story, we do share some characters and locations with the upcoming Legacy film.
• Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids is considered a prequel to the PS3 and 360 Tron: Evolution video game and will be released this holiday season.
• Three grid games were featured at Comic-Con: Light Cycle Arena Battle, Light Cycle Race and Light Runer Arena Battle.
• A fourth grid game was confirmed at the show, based on the iconic Light Discs competition.
• The final product will feature 15 different modes in 7 grid game settings, with more character and vehicle based grids to be announced soon. Rest assured that Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids will deliver all of your favorite Tron grid game moments.
• Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids was built with multiplayer gaming in mind. All grid games are designed to be played with up to 4 players on the same television! We’ve created the ultimate “in-the-livingroom” competition game to play with your family and friends.
• Play as teams! We offer 2 VS 2 Team Play against humans or AI.
• Simple, Intuitive Controls! Every grid game exhibits simple “pick up and play” controls while also offering an additional layer of depth for more experienced gamers. This way fathers can play with sons and older brothers can play with younger siblings. And while we support use of the Nunchuk peripheral, it isn’t ever required. You can play any of our games using just a Wii Remote.
Single Player Story
• The annual Game Grids Championship has become the biggest recreational spectacle in the TRON universe, bringing all programs together to support the strongest of warriors competing for the coveted title. With Tron unexpectedly stepping down from the competition, you play a talented young program with hopes of becoming the new champion. Joined on your quest by Quorra (voiced by Olivia Wilde), you’ll meet both familiar and unique characters while visiting Wii exclusive locations in this expanded Tron Universe.
• Script writers from the Legacy film oversaw the development of our story. They received drafts as we worked through the script and provided feedback that was critical in shaping our final narrative.
• The single player story experience will take 5-6 hours to fully explore.
• Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids offers a full character customization system. Create a male or female program to be used in every game mode. Customization options include choosing suits, piping, heads, faces, hair, colors, accessories, and more! Continue to evolve your character’s appearance as new items become unlocked while playing through the game.
• Earn bits as you play to purchase new vehicles, parts, and accessories. Bits are earned regardless of game mode or number of players. Acquire them by doing well on the grid, or simply pick them up by finding them while exploring the story hubs.
• Everything you do in the game counts! Our stat tracking system remembers everything you do, allowing you to compare your progress against family and friends. By tracking everything, we can use stats to tell the story of a match before it begins, giving it additional meaning. For example, the loading screen might say “Player 1 beats Player 2 40% of the time when racing light cycles”. Or you might see “Player 2 is on a 4 game winning streak”.
• Stats can easily be compared with our comprehensive leader boards. See how you stack up against everyone who has played, or look at detailed head to head stats against one other competitor.
• Gain rank by performing well on the Grid! You may be a Rookie now, but you’ll be a Legend in no time at all!
• Jump into the Championship mode to play all of your favorite games in any order by yourself or with your friends. Create custom free-for-all or team based Championships and battle your way to the end. Gain points by placing well in each event — finish with the most points to become the true Game Grids Champion!
Immerse yourself in the world of Tron like never before with our exclusive Wii game, available this holiday season. And watch here for more information as we get closer to release!
I’d like to thank Sophia and the folks at Gamespot.com for the opportunity to speak to them about our game. We could have talked for an hour and barely scratched the surface of what Tron: Evolution – Battle Grids for the Wii has to offer. Thanks also to all of the gamers and Tron fans that I met at the show! You guys are the reason we’re making the game, and we appreciate your support!